(Click on the actual strip for a larger view)

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Warning: political commentary ahead!

Contextual explanation: ARA was the food service company that held the contract to provide food to UNC's dining halls. During my freshman year, ARA lobbied the administration to institute a "mandatory meal plan," guaranteeing them a minimum commitment from any student living on campus. Extortion, right?

Keith Olbermann, I'm not. In fact, I've always hated politics, and by "hated," I mean "found them unsurpassingly dull." But, as a cartoonist, it's my job--some might say my social responsibility--to use my talent for good. Every once in a while I'd come across a topic that I was able to comment on without compromising the strip--that is, without turning it into a soapbox. My illustrations on the Daily Tar Heel's editorial page were usually just that--illustrations, ornamenting someone else's point of view. But the strip was my own, to shout mightily into the wind with at my leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment