(Click on the actual strip for a larger view)

Thursday, December 31, 2009

He completes me.

Up through college, very few people had the singular impact on my life that Charles Schulz did. I can thank my parents for the encouragement, art lessons and opportunities, but I don't need to look much past "Peanuts" for the inspiration. You'll hear this from most cartoonists, syndicated and otherwise, of the last 20-30 years, so it's by no means an exclusive claim. I've collected his compilations my whole life, and am in the process of amassing the definitive collection right now, via the hardcover series currently in print. Unlike mine, his strips are timeless and speak to issues far beyond the punchline. Freshman year, my strip ran directly beneath "Peanuts," and I took this occasion to fashion a little tribute (and borrow a little material in the process).

No comments:

Post a Comment